Tribe, this one is a contentious but here goes:
Having a healthy brain is essential in order to have a healthy mind and body, however we need to look after it too. You see we look after our skin with lotions and potions and we look after our body with good food, powders, greens drinks and detox but what do we do for our brains.
Your brain is 80% water and even a 5% water intake reduction can reduce cognitive function by 30%, so all the non water drinking crew and i know there are lots are probably 30% dumber than you, well not drinking water is stupid isn't it.
We have reduced our fatty fish intake in the last 80 years by as much as 80% and without EPA & DHA primarily derived from fatty fish(omega 3) it is 100% impossible for your brain to function at 100%.
So...eat fish and drink plenty of water, lots of us already do this so what else is bad for our brains.
Brain destroyers.......ooooh scary
Britain has one of the highest suicide rates in Europe and mental illness is a real issue, i am going to look at four brain destroyers that can effect brain function.
1. mobile phones and radiation, noooo we all spend our lives attached to them. A swedish study concluded that prolonged mobile phone use(1 hour a day or more attached to the side of your head) greatly increased the chance of brain and ear tumours. They also concluded that the earlier the phone use started the greater the risk, cordless phones have a similar effect. To add a bit of credibility to this statement: on june the 1st 2011 the WHO (World Health Organisation) classified mobile phones as carcinogenic. "say no more".
2.Stress, this is something i am really into as stress is often the number one factor stopping weight loss too. When you have any form of stress your brain releases cortisol, nothing kills brain cells like this hormone. Constant stress like going through a divorce, being sacked or a really bad relationship can reduce a large amount of brain cells and leave you dumber and less able to function.
3. Aspartame, this is something i have covered before talking about the negative effects of this sweetener and the fact that people have died taking excess aspartame. Studies suggest that lots of diet products containing this sweetener can lead to depression, panic attacks, mild rage and violence. Even the testing which lead to its approval in 1981 found that animals given the sweetener where 25 times more likely to have brain tumours. Not scare mongering here, as i think you would need to consume a lot of diet drinks and products to start harming yourself. Seriously though sugar is better than aspartame.
4. Alcohol, we all smash on average 20 units of alcohol per week and i like a tipple too. Autopsy studies have shown that cronic drinkers have smaller, lighter, more shrunken brains than their non-alcoholic adults of the same age this has also been confirmed on living alcoholics using structural imaging. Shrinkage is more extensive on the frontal lobe(seat of higher intellectual functions). I could bang on here about lots more facts and figures about dysfunction, atrophy of the brain, instead just go to any old mans pub on an afternoon and try and have a conversation with the old man propping up the bar.
What can you do to have an active brain for as long as your bodies alive?
- Eat healthy still have treats, but not every night
- P for Plenty, loads of water all of your life and especially after a good drink. Before you go to bed always try and neck as much water as possible and all the next day during your hangover.
- Avoid anything diet, this is good general health advice too. Diet drinks and food are all absolutely rubbish for us.
- Monitor how long your kids have a phone attached to their ears, get them to text instead.
- Try and avoid stress, go to sleep early and at the same time each night. When you feel stressed find a quiete space and conduct slow deep breathing exercises which immediately bring you back into the correct nervous system(para sympathetic). Try and eat in a relaxed place with no distractions including tv. Dont hold onto anger about other people, as soon as the anger washes over you get the idea and image out of your head. Hatred, bitterness and anger towards others only hurts you, dont let them anger you...this takes practice but you can do it.
So that's it for today, hope you liked this blog look after your brain as it controls everything else.
Glenn(the go to guy)hill
Are you destroying your brain/personal trainer newcastle-01913874222